Saturday, April 30, 2011

One month left


One month left.  What a staggering thought!  As of Friday I have two class meetings left, three papers, and one final exam to take.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, these are spread out over the entire month of May.  I think I’ll try to do the smart thing and get all of my papers done as soon as possible so that I can have time to roam around the country a little more!  It seems so bizarre to me that finals are spread out so much here.  I’m so used to classes ending one week and then the next week being filled with final exams.  Not here, though.  Here they try to give students as much time to prepare as possible.  While this may sound good in theory, I wonder how it’ll work in practice… Will the extra time actually be beneficial?  Or will I just squander it by relaxing outside with the beautiful weather we’ve been having? 
I believe that it has only actually rained twice since I’ve been here.  The weather transitioned directly from snow to sunshine, and while I was away on Easter break everything went from dead and dry to green and full of life!  This country never ceases to amaze me.  I can definitely understand why a lot of people who come here end up staying.  I am definitely getting homesick, though.  I don’t know if I could handle any more than one more month.  I love it here so much but I really miss my family and familiar foods.  I suppose that this is a good time for homesickness to be kicking in, right as I’m reaching the homestretch.  I think the strangest thing for me going home is to see how all of my friends have changed (the ones that will be remaining at Linfield next year, in any case).  It feels as though I have so much that I have to do when I get home.  I think the best thing for me to do in my remaining month is to just get my work done and then relax and enjoy the country.  This semester has definitely been a nice break from the stressful day-in and day-out schedule I have at Linfield, but I think I really need to savor my last few weeks here and “suck out all the marrow of life” (Thoreau) while I’m still here.  Carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment